Gavin McCarthy is a freelance illustrator and graphic artist. This blog is a collection for various sketches, experiments and new work. Comments are always welcome and encouraged. All blog content © Gavin McCarthy

View my portfolio at www.artbygavin.com

Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes

Good Evening Internet

So I have finished my contribution to the Post No Bills rock poster show. I present to you Figrin D'an and the Model Nodes!

However, before I show you the final I would like to show you some of my process. I started with a character study as you may have seen in m previous post. I will forgo putting it up a second time as you can just scroll to see it again.

The first major thing after my character studies and research (I used Wookipedia extensively) is the rough layout. This gives me a good start point for the composition and lets me see what is working and what isn't.


After that I pencil out the final on some good paper and start inking. I use Strathmore paper (100lb) with Winsor and Newton black india ink drawn with a Hunt's 512 nib and a NO2 sable brush.


After this I scan the ink drawing (usually in parts given the size of my scanner) and set up my file for colouring. Each digital painting session is different and I usually use whatever methods and brush presets best suit the mood of the image. This piece required the use of textures to give a nice "worn souvenir" look. After that the image is finished and ready for some prepress tweaks and then off to the client/printer.


And that's about it. I am always happy to answer any questions about how I do things. In all honesty most of my recent tricks were learned through blog posts and artists who were nice enough to indulge my "how's you do that?" moments.

Have a nice weekend and don't forget, if you are in Toronto on Sunday November 15th be sure to stop by Leslie Jones, 1182 Queen Street East, for an evening of art for sale with live performances by Jerry Leger and the Situation, Wade Benson, and Mr Rodger.

Hope to see you there
Cheers
-Gavin

No comments:

Post a Comment